The Dixie State University Peace Officer Standards and Training Academy (POST Academy) offers Special Function Officer (SFO, known as Cat 1) and Law Enforcement Officer (LEO, known as Cat 2) training. The SFO training is approximately 10 weeks in length and the LEO training is approximately 18 weeks in length. In order for cadets to participate in the LEO training, cadets MUST first complete the SFO.
- Special Function Officer Training (SFO) provides training for Special Function Officer/Auxiliary Officer. Positions requiring SFO training include constables, auxiliary officers, bailiffs, reserve officers, and other special function officers, as approved by the department. SFO must be completed before LEO or Correctional training.
- Law Enforcement Officer Training (LEO) provides the remaining training necessary for certification of a Peace Officer (Police Officer). Positions requiring both levels of training include police officers, highway patrol troopers, and deputy sheriffs. SFO training is required before taking the LEO training!
- In order to attend the DSU Post Academy cadets MUST be 21 years of age before the start of the SFO session.
Classes are held from 6:00 to 10:00 PM Monday thru Friday at the DXATC Emergency Response Training Center, 610 South Airport Road, St George, Utah.
** The DSU Regional POST academy does NOT offer the Emergency Vehicle Operations Training (EVO). After graduating and employment, by any department, Cadets need to attend the Utah POST EVO training.. It is the Cadet’s responsibility to inform employers and/or potential employers of this… YOU CANNOT BE CERTIFIED UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE EVO.
Certificates will not be issued to any Cadet unless DSU POST tuition is paid in full. Certificate of Completion will be presented to cadets who have successfully completed all requirements of POST.
University Credit/ Tuition Assistance
The Academy is now approved for University credit making financial aid and tuition assistance possible. Please look for information on applying for financial aid and completing the FAFSA form at http://www.dixie.edu/financial/. Completing this form will tell you if you qualify for financial aid. Complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA). Submit it to the Federal processor at least 8 weeks before the semester for which you want to receive aid. Dixie State University's school code is 003671. Visit the FAFSA website at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
- Cadets seeking financial assistance and/ or the GI Bill (veterans) will be required to take the College Placement test (CPT) please contact the DSU testing center, (435) 652-7696, for more information.
- Cadets seeking information on the GI Bill please contact the Admissions at 652-7699 or by email email@example.com.